Image Map

Header

Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Great Pumpkin

Caitlin Morath  

I’ve been planning my Halloween costumes since June. I was at the cider mill two weeks into September. I started drinking Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks even before they reappeared on the menu. To put it simply, I’m a bit of a fall fanatic. There’s just something about crisp air and football Saturdays that I can’t get enough of.

But for all of the things that I adore about autumn, one object stands out among the rest: The Pumpkin.

Any baker can tell you the pumpkin is a versatile ingredient that, when used correctly, can help create the most spectacular baked good. But my roommates can attest that pumpkin has moved far beyond the realm of pie in our household. From cake to pasta sauce, cookies to dip, I’m on a mission to use canned pumpkin puree to its fullest potential. What follows are the recipes for a few of my favorite creations thus far.

Do you have any crazy pumpkin ideas for me to try? Send me your ideas by tweeting #wolverinecuzine or commenting on our Facebook page and I’ll post photos of how your recipes turn out!

Pumpkin Fluff Dip:

Ingredients:
1 (16 oz) container of Coolwhip
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
1 pack instant vanilla pudding
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Directions:
Mix all ingredients. Serve with graham cracker for dipping.

Pumpkin Pasta Sauce:

Ingredients:
1 package low fat cream cheese
½ stick of butter
½ cup low fat milk
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ -1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pinch nutmeg
1 cup canned pumpkin

Directions:
Cube cream cheese and butter. Add cheeses, butter and milk to a saucepan on low heat. Cook until melted. Stir in pumpkin and seasonings. Cook until heated throughout. Yields enough sauce to cover one box of pasta.

Pumpkin Cookies:

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla. Combine remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Slowly beat dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture until combined. Drop rounded tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until edges are firmed. Note: I tend to serve my cookies unadorned, but feel free to play around. Adding raisins, drizzling with white chocolate or covering in glaze are just a few ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment